When I was considering what to wear for traveling to northeastern states two years ago, the first thing that came to mind was whether I should buy winter clothes or rent them from local businesses. I just had sweaters at home and had never used winter essentials such as a jacket, pullovers, gloves, or trekking shoes.
When I first started looking for rental possibilities, I had a lot of doubts. I’m not sure if it’s safe to rent, what I should rent, and what I should buy for myself. Before traveling to the coldest region, I’m sure all of these questions would have arisen in the minds of any traveler. In this blog, we’ll explore more about renting winter clothes.
Renting Winter Clothes Tips and Tricks
Let’s look at a few tips before you decide to rent winter clothing.
To begin, select winter clothing that is appropriate for the temperature of the location you will be traveling. In most cold regions, the temperature appears normal during the day but begins to drop at night, so you must include adequate winter supplies in your packing list to cope with the chilly temperatures at night.
Second, decide on your winter outfits based on your activities planned for the trip. Are you traveling to a business summit, a pleasure getaway, or a ski excursion?
All of these activities determine your winter packing list. If you frequently go to cold locations on business, you might consider purchasing winter clothing. If you only travel to colder places once a year, renting winter clothing is a good option.
Finally, compare pricing between online winter clothing rental portals and winter travel clothing stores. It will offer you a good sense of prices, as well as what you can buy and rent out.
Read about Renting winter clothes in Mumbai
Why should you choose a winter clothing rental? Pros on renting winter clothes
- Affordable – Purchasing all of your winter clothing for a trip is expensive. Instead, rent it for a limited period. If I have to carry hiking shoes for a single trekking session, it is not worth it to spend it on myself.
- Sustainable / Ethical fashion – The textile sector is one of the important sources of greenhouse gas emissions. We can help to reduce it by renting rather than buying garments. Although this is a modest portion of the decrease, it is important to take such first efforts to rescue our planet.
- Saves space – Look at the closet once before buying your winter clothes. Do you have enough space to store all your winter wear? And if you do not keep it in the right way, it may ruin your winter clothing. Renting winter clothes prevents you from allocating the space in the closet.
Many day rental clothing companies offer free delivery and excellent service, which is a significant plus point to consider.
Cons of renting winter clothes (in 2021/22)
While we’re talking about the benefits of renting, you need equally be aware of the disadvantages.
1. Hygiene factor – Given the present pandemic condition, it is recommended that you wear your clothes. The rental of accessories such as shoes, gloves, and mufflers is a test of hygiene. If we wear unclean clothes to chilly regions, we risk developing skin sensitivities and rashes. If we’re going on a trip with kids, cleanliness should be a major focus.
2. The sizing issue – Renting garments have a very slim chance of fitting properly.
Nobody wants to wear ill-fitting clothes on a journey that will be remembered for a lifetime. It’s a big challenge to find good-fitting clothes at a low rent.
3. Price – Many local firms that hire out winter garments charge higher prices. Rather than spending a lot of money on renting several times, we may save money by buying once and using it effectively.
Tips on renting winter clothes: Which clothes to borrow and which ones to invest in
To learn more about this puzzling question, we must first understand the fundamentals of layering. The base layer, mid layer, shell layer, and accessories are all part of the layering process.
- We should not rent a base layer because it is worn near to the skin. This is the first layer you put on to keep warm in the cold. So buying this for your own use is the best option.
- The cold air is kept out by the mid-layer. Mid-layer garments include pullovers, sweatshirts, and sweaters. We can buy these instead of renting them because they can be worn on normal days.
- Jackets, thermal pants and raincoats are examples of shell layers. Consider the frequency of your travels, the activities you engage in while travelling, the weather, and the cost before selecting thermal wear.
- Gloves, mufflers, socks, neck warmers, goggles, stoles, and shawls are all necessary winter accessories. Renting accessories like mufflers is not advisable, as it is close to our face and body. Considering hygiene and usability, purchasing them is the best option.
- If you’re hiking a mountain or on an adventurous trip, the most important item on your packing list should be your shoes. If you hike frequently, investing in nice shoes is a good idea; otherwise, you can rent. Check the rental shoes for quality, hygiene, and dependability once more.
Tips to consider when you go ahead with winter clothing rental
- It is preferable to shop at physical stores rather than online. Inspecting the quality of materials physically is preferable. If you’re going to go with an online alternative, read the reviews first.
- Consider winter rental packages, which can provide you with more options and prices. This will help you to plan cost-effectively and suit bulk purchases like family trips.
- You must be specific in your expectations, deciding which layer you would like to rent and which one you would like to purchase.
- Compare the prices between different websites and stores for clarity. Check for the delivery and late return fees.
- Consider the type of activity you’ll be doing on your trip and make plans accordingly. If you’re travelling to a place where it snows, carry snow pants; otherwise, don’t.
Above all, try to book your clothes ahead of time, as winter wear can be in high demand around the holiday season.
Get affordable winter clothing with Kosha, instead of renting
Still, having concerns about renting winter clothing? Check out Kosha’s affordable winter wear. The products of Kosha are noted for their reliability and comfort.
All of our base layers are made of skin-friendly nano-tech fibre wool that delivers the essential warmth. Jackets and parkas with underarm vent zips and pouches are multifunctional insulators that are simple to use and carry. This frees up extra room in your bag for other essentials.
We have particularly made hiking socks with cushioning at the pressure points of the feet and arch support. Each glove is unique in that it not only protects your hand but is also made with technological considerations in mind. The thumb and index fingers are touch screen compatible, allowing you to conveniently utilize your smartphone and laptop.
Check out the affordable winter products from Kosha
I hope this blog has provided you with some information on renting winter clothing. If you’re renting or buying clothes, make sure to check the pricing, comfort, quality, and hygiene.
This post was written by Kosha team member – Keerthiga Rani!